Nowadays, every person from every age group prefers to surf the internet for their daily activities like education, shopping, payments, and many more. For this, they need to visit different kinds of websites and platforms but, in all this, they leave their fingerprints on every website they have accessed. These left fingerprints can be used by intruders or third parties for tracking their activities. By using these traces, hackers can also steal their personal data like IP address, location, and many more.
This is one of the foremost reasons that users are highly advised to access the internet with the help of VPN programs. So, here, we are going to know what does a VPN do or what does a VPN hide. We will also discuss how to use VPN software.
What is a VPN or Virtual Private Network?
VPN or Virtual Private Network is responsible for creating a layer of protection for the users while they are engaged in online activities. A VPN works on the concept of encryption and thus, it encrypts a users’ internet traffic followed by hiding their online identity. As a result of this, the third parties will find it quite difficult in tracking a user’s activities or stealing their data.
5 Things That A VPN Hide
VPNs are primarily known for providing security. But, apart from securing data, there are lots of other things too that a VPN can do. So, let’s find out what does a VPN hide in order to provide you security:
1. Hides IP Address Of Device
The IP address is one of the most important things about a device. It can be stated as a medium through which your device communicates with remote servers. By using it, a hacker/snooper can easily know what device are you using, from where you are browsing the web, what you are searching, etc.
A VPN high your IP address and assigns you an IP of one of its servers. This means all your traffic is routed through the IP address of the VPN server. In this way, you will be able to browse the web anonymously and no one will be able to track your activities.
2. Location Of Users
As stated earlier, with the help of your IP, anyone can easily know from where you are browsing the web. Besides this, there are also many websites or apps that keep track of the places you visit.
A VPN is capable of hiding the location of the user. In the way, you one will ever be able to identify your real location.
3. Browsing History And Personal Data
When you are connected to a public Wi-Fi network, mainly at bus stands, Airports, etc. the admin of that network can easily know your IP address. Many hackers also create fake Public networks for implementing phishing or MITM attacks. This can lead to major data loss including your personal data and browsing history.
Using a VPN on public WiFi will encrypt the WiFi for you and all the data will be routed through an encrypted tunnel. In this way, a VPN will hide your browsing data and will help you in avoiding such kinds of cyber-attacks.
4. Track Of The Online Activities
When you use an unsecured network, hackers, snoopers, your ISP, government agencies, etc. can easily track both your incoming and outgoing traffic. Using a VPN can help you in preventing such kinds of data tracing. When you are connected to a VPN, all your data travels through an encrypted tunnel and gets converted into gibberish. In this way, VPN hides your browsing history and so that no one ever gets access to it.
5. VPN Hide Itself
The last thing that usually most of the best VPN service providers hide is their own activity. For doing this, various VPN providers use various kinds of techniques. If a VPN isn’t capable of hiding its own activity then it is always suggested to stay away from such kinds of VPNs.
So, these the major things that a trusted VPN hides, and a good VPN should definitely hide. Below we have mentioned how a VPN works along with the benefits linked to the use of a VPN.
How Does VPN Work?
In the above section, we discussed what does a VPN hide. Now, let’s look at how a VPN works.
A VPN redirects the users’ network connection by configuring with a server being executed by the VPN, remotely. In short, the VPN acts as a source of data once a user starts surfing the internet with it. Through this, the ISP or the third party will not be able to get access to your browsing data.
VPNs also have the tendency of filtering the users’ data and thus, in case the third party gets their personal information then, it will be merely garbage for the intruders.
How To Use A VPN On Android Devices?
Now, after knowing what does a VPN hide and how does a VPN work, we are going to discuss the method of using a VPN on Android devices. Here are the steps to add and connect the VPN to the device for making the internet activities safe and secure.
- First of all, you need to down the VPN software on your device. You may get the VPN application from the ‘Google Play Store’ or from the administrator’s website.
- After this, move to the ‘Settings’ application or section of the device (Android).
- Here, follow the path as shown: Network & Internet > Advanced > VPN
- Now, tap the ‘+’ button, displayed at the uppermost right corner followed by entering the information associated with the VPN within the respective fields.
- After doing this, tap the ‘Save’ button.
Hence, the VPN application will be added to the users’ device and now, the users need to connect the VPN to their device. The steps to do so are as follows:
- Again, move to the ‘Settings’ application of the device followed by accessing the VPN panel.
- Here, select the VPN, the users are willing to connect followed by entering the username and password within the respective field.
- In the end, tap the ‘Connect’ button. To check the successful connection, look for the key icon on the VPN name then, it indicates the connection is successful.
What are the benefits of using a VPN?
The VPN works to offer protection to the users’ internet activities from being accessed by a third party. Here, are the benefits of using a VPN for accessing online platforms or websites using the internet:
- The VPN offers secure and safe encryption to the users’ online activities. Thus, it becomes difficult for intruders’ or third party’s to access users’ online activities.
- The VPN has the feature of location spoofing. This feature allows the users to get access to websites that are not accessible while traveling. VPNs also support location spoofing, which provides a chance for users to switch servers from their actual location to another countries’ server.
- While the users are working remotely, they may need to access the files that are beneficial for their work through the company’s network. Thus, for enhancing the security of the files, the company needs to have a secured connection. So, connecting a VPN to a private connection will enhance security prevent data from being leaked.
What Does A VPN Hide: Conclusion
Through this article, we discussed the important things that a VPN hides. We also discussed how using a VPN helps users to make their internet activities safe and secure. Your one mistake is enough to suffer huge data loss or data stealing. So, it is suggested to always use VPN software while doing important or confidential tasks.
Also Read: NordVPN Vs Hola VPN